Can I Travel To Japan Now?
Are you ready to go??? Did you wait too long time to travel to Japan? Haha, we find something for you:
Japan is poised to reopen to visa-free individual travel. We are all just waiting for the announcement, which is expected within the next few days. Here are all the details on travel restrictions, flights, and entry procedures.
Last Update: September 19, 2022
- Important Note: We expect an announcement about a reopening to visa-free individual travel within the next few days. If that happens, much of what is written below will become irrelevant.
- Independent travel is still not permitted but you can visit Japan on a package tour. For more details, see How to Enter Japan on a Package Tour Using the ERFS System.
- The guide requirement has been dropped from package tours. See details in the commentary below.
- Americans and Canadians can now apply for visas online (eVISA).
- Family members of Japanese and foreign residents of Japan can visit Japan (you’ll have to apply in advance for a kinship visa – see details below).
- Foreign business travelers and students can enter Japan as long as they have the proper visa (you must apply in advance and you’ll need a sponsor in Japan).
- Relatives of American military personnel stationed in Japan can also visit Japan (yes, you will need a visa).
- Quarantine and arrival testing have been eliminated for travelers from so-called “blue” countries (including most developed nations like the USA, Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand and most of the EU).
- Covid vaccine proof will not be required for travelers from “blue” countries. This means you do not have to be vaccinated to enter Japan if you come from a “blue” country.
- The pre-departure covid test requirement has been dropped for triple-vaxxed (ie, boosted) travelers. Children traveling with such travelers are also exempt from the test, whether or not they’ve been vaccinated.
- We will update this page weekly on Mondays, Japan time.
- Japan is still closed to independent tourists, but will reopen in the future. Now is the time to start planning a trip to Japan.
For more details, check out https://www.insidekyoto.com/can-i-travel-to-japan-now